Q. What can I do if a book is not on the shelf where it is supposed to be? Sep 05, 2019
Q. What can I do if a book is not on the shelf where it is supposed to be?Sep 05, 2019
There could be several reasons that a book is not on the shelf where you expect to find it:
- Make sure the book is listed as "Available" in BU Libraries Search. If the record says "Not on Shelf" it means that someone else has the book checked out. (Note: You can request a book that is checked out.)
- Check what branch the book is at.
- Books listed as "Off-Site Storage" have to be requested. Sign in to BU Libraries Search to request the book. You will receive an email when it is at the library. You can select which branch to pick it up at and it will be held at the circulation desk for you.
- Books listed as Mugar Reference X or Mugar Reserve Room are on the first floor of Mugar, not in the regular stacks.
- If a book is supposed to be on the shelf and is not there, it's possible that it was checked out and returned but has not yet been put back on the shelf. Please ask at the circulation desk.
If you still can't find a book, ask for help at the circulation desk.
View All Topics