Answered By: Ellen Phillips
Last Updated: Jul 27, 2018     Views: 1

You have four options. You may:


  • attempt to persuade the publisher to publish your article;
  • ask BU Libraries or the BU Office of General Counsel (617.353.2326, for help in addressing the publisher’s concerns (although your scholarly articles are owned by you individually and not BU, and the University cannot represent you legally, we are ready to protect the University’s interest in open access and will be happy to talk with you to illuminate the issues);
  • seek another publisher for your article; or
  • opt out by filling out a waiver form (see the Opting Out section below).

Get Help

Need more help? Ask us!



Email Get answers within 24 hours. (

 Phone: Call 617-353-2700 or look through our reference contacts.

 In person: Visit our library locations.

 Make a research appointment.

 Text a librarian: 617-431-2427

Direct Message us on Twitter.