Answered By: Mugar Library
Last Updated: Sep 23, 2014     Views: 143

  • Most libraries will not lend non-circulating materials such as: periodicals; reference books; pre-19th century imprints and newspapers (unless available in microform); sound and video recordings; films; computer disks; and materials with controlled distribution, such as standardized tests. 
  • Materials held in the Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center at Boston University can not be borrowed though this service.
  • Many libraries restrict the loan of: very fragile or oversize materials, microforms, and serials recent additions to their collections and materials in high demand locally. Informally produced or unpublished materials ("grey" literature) may be difficult to obtain.
  • You may not request materials that are owned by the Boston University Charles River campus libraries.
  • If a book you need is currently charged out, ask the Circulation staff to recall the book for you. If you cannot find a book you need on shelf, please fill out a Search form at the Circulation Desk. If Circulation staff cannot retrieve the book, you may submit an ILL request for the missing title. If you think an item you need may be part of our collection, but are unsure of how to locate it in the online catalog, ask a reference librarian for assistance.

If the material you need falls into one of the above categories and your need is pressing, you may wish to speak with the ILL staff before you place your request. They will be able to help you determine the best and quickest way to get the information you need.

Get Help

Need more help? Ask us!



Email Get answers within 24 hours. (

 Phone: Call 617-353-2700 or look through our reference contacts.

 In person: Visit our library locations.

 Make a research appointment.

 Text a librarian: 617-431-2427

Direct Message us on Twitter.